Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Prescription for My Restlessness: Psalms 46:10
"Be Still and Know that I am God." 
Approximately over a week ago as of this writing (May 16, 2012), I realized my restlessness attacks were getting more frequent. I remembered that I have already been having episodes of restless feet even when I was younger, but only rarely. Then I thought I could attribute this to my frozen shoulder, I am not sure, but I just thought so because my restlessness attacks did not only limit to my feet, but to my whole body as well, and it would go on for almost a whole day. Restless feet, as I read from the net, is "a neurological disorder characterized by an irresistible urge to move one's body to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations.[1] It most commonly affects the legs, but can affect the arms, torso, and even phantom limbs.[2] Moving the affected body part modulates the sensations, providing temporary relief" (Wikipedia). I also learned that it could also mean deciency in some nutrients/vitamins such as iron, folate, vit B, magnesium. (So i plan to buy and take vitamin supplements, asap.) I noticed this restlessness attack became frequent and took longer hours. I would look normal to others but people around me don't know I'm already having this attack. I would pray and pray, and try to calm myself and relax. I realized that this could be due to my lifestyle and work for the past 4- years as a freelance book designer. Being one, my life is characterized by constant necessity to be always in a hurry. Especially when I had some deadlines, I would always do things other than my work, in a hurry. I'd say that most of my home chores are done in a haste, always thinking that I had projects and deadlines. I realized that other than my work, I have not been enjoying moments of doing anything at all-whether it be cooking, cleaning the house, etc. I noticed I already developed this habit of living each day of my life in a hurry. This habit already took captive of my whole being, my inner self. It may be unnoticeable, but whenever this restlessness attacks, deep inside my being, in my heart and mind, i have the urge to be in a hurry. When I realized this worsening condition, I knew I had to do something concrete and do it fast. I remembered God's word in Psalms 46:10, saying "Be Still and Know that I am God." I knew that for years, there was always the temptation to have control over things, especially, time. Now, I really have to let go of that habit, really have to have God in complete control, even over my work, my deadlines, everything. Now, with God's help, I always remind myself that I have a lot of time, that I need to slow down, and condition my heart and mind that I do not have to be in a hurry. This is not easy for me, because the urge to do things as fast as I could seems to be deeply embedded in my innermost being, and became a part of me, of my everyday life. But as I am doing something about it, I noticed that I am slowly getting rid of it. As I draw strength from the Lord, and with His constant reminders through His Word and the Holy Spirit, I am sure I will conquer this weakness and have victory to this yet another challenge. This year, 2012, I already encountered a number of health challenges and trials, and as always, God has been with me. And I know He is with me all the time. 
  
"HE WHO dwells in the secret place of the Most High 
shall remain stable and fixed 
under the shadow of the Almighty.."

No comments:

Post a Comment